Sony’s most powerful video processor yet
Sony’s X1™ Ultimate has twice the processing power of the chip in last year’s X900F TVs. It has two main tasks: reducing the compression noise common in streamed video and lower-resolution sources, and upscaling every incoming signal to near 4K/HDR quality.
Compared to earlier processors, the X1 Ultimate’s biggest areas of improvement are in color accuracy and resolution enhancement on non-4K sources. Streamed 4K content and Ultra HD Blu-ray discs look fantastic, of course, but you won’t need a 4K source to be wowed by the XBR-85X950G’s picture.
High contrast, clear motion
HDR-equipped TVs like the XBR-85X950G can display much greater contrast and a wider color spectrum than 4K TVs from just a few years back. And while nearly all 4K TVs claim HDR compatibility, the XBR-85X950G’s impressive peak brightness and advanced local dimming really demonstrate how great HDR can look when done right.
The XBR-85X950G’s full-array LED backlight produces precisely localized lighting across the entire screen. By dimming some areas of the screen and boosting others, Sony’s latest X-tended Dynamic Range PRO™ technology produces a brightness range that’s about 6 times wider than what we’ve been used to with conventional LED-backlit TVs.
Sony also appears to have finally solved LCD’s viewing angle limitations. The XBR-85X950G’s X-Wide Angle optical panel technology maintains excellent contrast, brightness, and color saturation even for viewers seated well to either side of the screen.
Sony’s X-Motion Clarity™ with 120Hz refresh rate is the smartest motion processing solution we’ve seen. While many TVs employ a blinking backlight to reduce motion blur, X-Motion Clarity takes advantage of the XBR-85X950G’s multi-zone full-array backlight to localize the blinking to just the part of the screen where the motion is happening. That eliminates motion blur without dimming overall picture brightness.
This TV hears the words you want it to — and nothing else
The XBR-85X950G’s built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
Sony designed the XBR-85X950G to respond to voice commands, but you’ll never have to worry about it eavesdropping on your conversations. The built-in Google Assistant will only activate when you press the mic button on the remote and speak into the microphone. You can adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions, hands-free. Google Assistant can also answer everyday questions and control connected smart home devices. This TV is also compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
One of the coolest new features for 2019 is support for Apple® AirPlay® 2, so you’ll be able to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac to the biggest screen in your home.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 84.5″ screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- X-Motion Clarity™ blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- full-array direct-lit LED backlight with local dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
- X-tended Dynamic Range PRO™ delivers 6X the brightness range of conventional LCD TVs
- X-Wide Angle technology maintains accurate color and contrast when viewing from the sides
- Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscales images to near-4K clarity
- Object-based Super Resolution enhances detail
- Object-based HDR Remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Calibrated Mode mimics the settings on Netflix’s mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay® 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view the highest-quality 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- HDMI 3 input supports eARC
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs (two 2.0, one 3.0) for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- Acoustic Multi-Audio speaker system with two sound positioning tweeters in the rear (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- you can set up the TV to output sound from Bluetooth, the built-in speakers, and the headphone output at the same time
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- detachable dual-footer stand (“footprint” is 69-5/8″W x 16-1/4″D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 75-1/4″W x 43-3/8″H x 3″D (46-1/2″H x 16-1/4″D on stand)
- weight: 108 lbs. with stand; 101.4 lbs. without stand